Free pregnancy care
If you’re a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, or are eligible in another way, you’ll receive free care.
Read the Guide to eligibility for publicly funded health services to see if you’re covered.
If you’re not eligible but your partner is, you may still be able to receive free care – visit Who is eligible for publicly funded maternity services? for more information.
If you’re eligible, your baby will be able to receive free care if born in New Zealand.
You will meet all four midwives during your pregnancy. We work as a team. We each have the possibility of caring for you in labour. This ensures safe midwives who are not working too tired and fewer disruptions to clinics and postnatals.
You will have pregnancy appointments before twelve weeks, 16 weeks, 20 weeks 24 weeks, 28 weeks, 30 weeks, 32 weeks, 34 weeks, 36 weeks and then once a week until you have your baby.
Booking and Birth discussion at 36 weeks - 1 hour.
Routine appointments are 15 - 30 mins
Find out more about the services we (Lead Maternity Carers) provide, on the Ministry of Health website.
Free Pregnancy tests
Free pregnancy tests are provided at our clinic. Contact us today to book an appointment with one of our midwives.
Emergency contact 24/7
Please call your midwife as soon as you feel concerned.
Reasons for concern:
- Reduced or no fetal movements
- Leaking fluid before 37 weeks
- Leaking fluid that is green or brown, contractions, lower back pain that comes and goes before 37 weeks
- Bleeding or stomach pain that does not go away.
- Headaches that won’t go away with Paracetamol, rest and fluids
- Rapid increase in body swelling
- Visual disturbances
Of course these are just a few warning signs. If you’re worried, don’t hesitate to contact us for advice.
- Interpretation of lab results and ultrasound scans.
- Prescriptions for pregnancy related problems ie: anaemia.
- Referral to specialist care for any pregnancy, postpartum and baby concerns (free).
- Labour care. We work for twelve hours before we rotate to a fresh midwife for your safe care.
- Postnatal care for you and your baby. At hospital and home for up to five weeks. Referrals made to Plunket for your ongoing baby support.
- Breastfeeding support and advice.